Friday 20 March 2015

No Better Death


I'm away from home for a few days, but to keep my connection with this project, I'm reading 'No Better Death', the collated diaries and letters of Colonel William Malone, commanding officer of the Wellington Battalion at Chunuk Bair.

Until recently, I knew next to nothing about Gallipoli, and certainly nothing about the Battle of Chunuk Bair.  I am so thankful that this project has now given me the opportunity to learn about such an iconic event in my country's history. And I'm even more grateful to have 'met' Colonel Malone.

'No Better Death' brings this stalwart, stern yet sensitive character to life.  We see how he really feels about the events around him, his ideas of leadership, and his intense pride in his battalion. And we share his longings for his wife and children.

The book concludes with a detailed description of the Battle of Chunuk Bair, which was Malone's finest moment.  Sadly this part of the book is written in the third person, as Malone was no longer around to write about the battle in his diary ... he was killed whilst holding the captured Turkish trench.

A thoroughly recommended book if you want to learn more about the figures we're painting.


1 comment :

  1. I read this back in High School when we covered Gallipoli. Malone's story resonated with me the most. He seemed like a supreme badass with a tender side, who had to make the most with what he had to work with (like every soldier on the Peninsula). I second the recommendation to read this.

    ReplyDelete